Tuesday

Day 193




when I remember our third day,
my mind wanders to an open meadow
embroidered with patches of purple and white –
a bed of wildflowers to cushion delicate beginnings –
whispered secrets and brushed fingertips.

and as minutes eased into hours,
the world held its breath for the stillness.
even the moonlight would have been too strident
for the eyes of an infant “us,”
as we pondered the stars and wishes and thoughts of
who we were, who we are, and who we long to be.

it was this picture –
framed by a cushion of darkness
and laced with the shadows
of scrub oak and aspens
that gave life to that most fragile word
full of hesitance and hope-

a weightless sigh hovering lithely above our silhouettes,
small forms dwarfed so precariously by the grandeur of the world-

a word that rang through my head
as you swallowed me up in your possibility.

one word to catch my breath
and my imagination.

maybe.


1 comment:

  1. This is such an incredibly lovely poem! It captures that I-just-realized-how-much-i-kind-of-almost-love-you feeling. I love: "the eyes of infant 'us.'"

    lovelyyy

    ReplyDelete